What’s going on around the Poconos this winter? There is always plenty of activity in the region. Here’s a look at some of the best 2018-19 winter events in the Poconos.
The Pocono Winter Wine, Food, & Spirits Festival
The Poconos wine industry has experienced vigorous growth in the past few years. Here’s your chance to experience and celebrate local Poconos wineries as well as select wineries of the Pennsylvania Wine Trail. The Pocono Winter Wine, Food, & Spirits Festival includes complimentary samples of local wine, spirits and fine cuisine, art displays, a variety of wine-related vendors, and free wine-tasting education. The Fest also features a selection of delicious sweet and savory bites, prepared by local restaurants, to complement the wines. Throughout the tasting area, there will be vendors with wine-related goods as well as displays by local artists. The event will be held January 21, 2019, at the Sherman Theater, 524 Main Street
Stroudsburg, PA, 18360. Call 570-420-2808 for more information or visit shermantheater.com.
The Harry Packer Mansion "The Nutcracker" Holiday Displays Tour
Bring your family and your "Spirit of Wonder and Imagination" as you tour the historic parlors of the Harry Packer Mansion in Jim Thorpe in true holiday style. Enjoy gorgeous displays inspired by a different scene from “The Nutcracker Suite” in each room. After touring these beautiful rooms stop by the Harry Packer Mansion’s Libation's Lounge which will be featuring a special Nutcracker inspired cocktail menu. Adults can enjoy the Sugar Plum Fairy and The Nutcracker while children can enjoy the Clara and Fritz. The program runs from November 30, 2018 - December 23, 2018 weekly on Sunday, Friday, and Saturday. Times are Fridays 4-9pm; Saturdays and Sundays 1-4pm. Price is $5/adults; children under 8 free with paying adult. Get additional information at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shawnee Traditions: See Creches From Around The World
Creche scenes are a part of the annual decorating traditions of many families. Here’s a chance to see examples of these Nativity scenes from countries around the world—right here in the Poconos. Enjoy over 100 small or large tableaus of Mary, Joseph, and others around the crib of Jesus in the stable at Bethlehem. Nativity scenes are on loan to the historic Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort. There is no admission fee but donations may be made to Hands-On Disaster Relief. The event runs from November 22, 2018, to January 2, 2019, daily from the hours of 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
New Year’s Day Grand Buffet
Stroudsmoor's New Year's Day Grand Buffet has been served in the Main Inn Dining Room since 1984. Ring in the New Year with selections from the fisherman's station, the main buffet table, and carving boards. Eight scrumptious entrees will be offered alongside soups, salads, vegetables, and starches. Stroudsmoor confections will be presented as a sweet ending to the celebration. Call for reservations. See website for full menu for the New Year’s Day Grand Buffet as well as the New Year’s Eve Grand Buffet and the New Year’s Day Buffet Brunch!
Outdoor Winter Activities
While plenty of people come for the skiing in the winter, there’s much more than just skiing in Pennsylvania’s winter wonderland. Sure, there are more than 185 ski slopes and trails to explore (with everything from beginner slopes to build confidence, all the way to steep expert mogul-filled runs. But the region also offers a lot more to enjoy. Here are just a few of the winter attractions that make living in the Poconos a winter wonderland. Here’s a post that tells you everything you need to know about skiing in the Poconos!
Take a toboggan or luge run down one of the slopes at the Adventure Center at Skytop Lodge in Skytop, PA (570) 595-7401.
This is a delightful and magical way to explore the region’s landscape. Give snowshoeing a try at Delaware State Forest Snowshoeing in Swiftwater, PA (570) 895-4000.
Want to race with the wind? Climb aboard a snowmobile, rev up the engine and ride till your heart’s content at Hickory Run State Park Snowmobiling in White Haven, PA (888) 727-2757.
Want something a little out of the ordinary? Jump on a dog sled and mush your way along trails behind a team of Siberian Huskies at Arctic Paws Dog Sled Tours in Skytop, PA (570) 216-2551.
Looking for something a little more sedate? Take a trip through yesteryear when you wrap up in a warm blanket with your loved ones, breathe in the fresh, pine-scented air, watch the spectacular scenery glide by from your horse-drawn sleigh. Check it out at Carson’s Paradise Riding Stable in Mount Pocono, PA (570) 839-8340.
If you think great swimming and water fun is only a summertime activity in the Poconos, you’ll be delighted to explore these year-round water park options.
- Great Wolf Lodge: The resort not only offers an incredible indoor water park, but it also has gorgeous hotel accommodations, delicious food options and plenty of shops to explore. No need to check the forecast when you take a family getaway to Great Wolf Lodge Resort, it’s always the perfect temperature inside the cozy confines of the lodge.
- Camelbeach Mountain Water Park: Camelback Resort, in the heart of the Pocono Mountains, introduces Camelback Lodge and Aquatopia– voted #1 Indoor Waterpark in the USA & one of the best resorts in the Poconos. You can also take advantage of the lodge’s mountain winter activities that include skiing and snowboarding.
- Kalahari Resorts Indoor Waterpark: Come see 220,000 square feet of iconic water park fun at America’s largest indoor water park. Hear the whoosh as you zoom down one of the many hair-raising waterslides. Feel the splash of the wave pool, the thrill of the kids’ play area, or the rush of indoor surfing. You can also relax in your own private indoor cabana and enjoy a flat screen TV, chaise lounges, refrigerator, security safe and much more.
- Sherman Theatre, built in the 1920's and recently renovated, presents many of today's biggest shows. Complete with full bar and wonderful restaurant, the Sherman Theater offers everything needed for a complete evening of entertainment. Audience and performers alike have been awed by the sound, comfort, and historic feel of this incredible performance venue. Check their website for upcoming shows.
- Casino Theatre Entertainment Center features two modern movie theaters with digital projection and 3D capability. The entertainment center offers a 1950s-style malt shop and restaurant, featuring more than 70 flavors of Hershey's ice cream and special treats like homemade waffle cones, sundaes, malts, and egg creams. Food is served in the theater using special trays that fit into cup holders. The Casino is known for its "Dinner and a Movie" specials every Monday and Tuesday, featuring a home-cooked entree and movie ticket for just $11 ($14 if seeing a 3D movie). Visit their website for more details!
- Mount Airy Casino is a great place for adults to be adults. Enjoy gaming at the casino, fine dining at one of five different eateries and take in lots of great entertainment. Whether you want to rock out with Classic Rock royalty, Laugh out loud with comedy legends or swoon with Broadway’s Best, Mount Airy has a wide variety of big-name talent booked for you. Check here for upcoming shows.
If all those activities make you hungry, you won’t have to worry. There’s an abundance of great places to eat throughout the Poconos. PoconosBest.com lists the following as “The Poconos Five Top Restaurant Tables”: The Stone Bar in Snydersville, PA; Alaska Pete’s in Marshalls Creek, PA; Basso (Italian) in Cresco, PA; Peppes Bistro in Eagle Valley Corners; and The Dimmick in Milford, PA. You can also explore the offerings from a number of “farm-to-table” restaurants listed here.
Of course, the Poconos aren't just a winter wonderland. The region is a great place to be all year round. And what better way to have access to all the Poconos has to offer than to build your own dream home here. If you're looking for some ideas on what that could look like, take a look at some of the beautiful custom homes we’ve built in the area. See what it would be like to enjoy all the winter activities—and the rest of the seasons in your new Poconos home!